We’re Tops! In November 2011, and again in November 2012 and November 2013, the Chicago Tribune named the Warren-Newport Public Library one of the Top 100 Places to Work in the Chicagoland Area. Among small organizations in the Chicagoland area, WNPL scored in the top tier for conditions that make staff feel “genuinely appreciated,” “part of something meaningful,” and give staff “the flexibility I need to balance my work and personal life.” Over 1.4 millions items circulate annually to our population of 60,000 from a collection of 283,000, making us one of the busiest libraries in the state. A typical day sees 1500 visitors served by an award-winning team of customer-focused staff. Please note that to apply for any position at the Warren Newport Public Library, a current application for employment is required. You may download an application for employment or obtain one at the Checkout Desk.
Job Vacancy Notice - Security Supervisor
|Rate of Pay:||$17.70-$23.39/hour, Depending on Qualifications
|Immediate Supervisor:||Executive Director
|Hours:||Full-time 37.50 hours per week. Monday-Friday: 10:00a.m.-6:00p.m. Occasional nights and at least one weekend per month.
|Application Deadline:||Until Filled
- Previous experience in security law enforcement, or related fields for at least three (3) years.
- Associate's degree or two years of college or university work.
- Experience working with children, young adults and adults.
- Well developed oral/written communication skills. Fluency in Spanish a plus but not required.
- Familiarity with library automation and Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to analyze and resolve sensitive public relation matters and maintain confidentiality.
- No criminal convictions.
- Hires, supervises, evaluates, schedules and coordinates the day to day operations and ensures proper training and ongoing communication of the security team.
- Makes recommendations concerning public safety, security, staff security to the Executive Director.
- Coordinates safety and security training for library staff members.
- Interprets department procedure and policies for the security monitors.
- Coordinates/schedules fire, disaster, and violence drills throughout the year with the Executive Director; attends regional disaster drill training.
- Serves as safety and security liaison with police, fire and other local agencies.
- Regularly patrols all public areas and library grounds. Observes activities and notes potential problem areas.
- Enforces the library’s behavior policy. Advises Executive Director or person-in-charge regarding action taken.
- Communicates/documents serious or repeated violations of Standards of Public Conduct policy by individuals and other serious incidents or problems. Issues violation tickets and bans violators from library and attempts to get a photo of patron banned from the library. Maintains photo collection of banned patrons.
- Checks in registered meeting room users and assists with monitoring the use of and enforcing meeting room policy. Assists Facilities staff with meeting room setups.
- Performs emergency maintenance tasks (ex: snow removal, cleaning/replenishing products in restroom).
- Tidies public areas: return chairs to tables, place books on shelving carts, pick up litter, as time allows.
- Empties and secures the outside bookdrop at closing.
- Participates on library committees and project teams.
- Requires full-range of body motion including standing, sitting, or walking for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to move a cart loaded with 100-lbs and lift materials up to 70-lbs.
|Applying for the Position:||Apply with a resume, three references and cover letter along with an Application for Employment to:
Warren-Newport Public Library District
224 N. O’Plaine Road
Gurnee, Illinois 60031
or you can email him at email@example.com. You may download the Employment Application or obtain an application from our Circulation Desk. No phone calls please.