Early literacy is what children know about reading and writing before they can actually read or write. Simple things like reading, talking, singing, and playing with your child reinforce important language, literacy, and social-emotional skills that all children need!
Above all, create a positive experience when sharing books with your child. Whenever you read together:
· Have fun! Use different voices, actions, facial expressions, songs, and props to bring the story to life.
· Snuggle up. Hold your child closely and include a favorite blanket, stuffed toy, or other comfort item.
· Talk about it. Point out things in the pictures, and ask questions about the story. Don’t be afraid to stray from the text and encourage your child to add their own ideas.
· Remain flexible. It’s okay to skip pages, read from back to front, just look at pictures, or not finish the book.
· Be prepared. Keep books close at hand—throughout your home, in your diaper bag, in the car—so you can take advantage of even a few minutes of book sharing time.
Check out these library programs to help get you started on your early literacy journey:
1000 Books Before Kindergarten is a library program that encourages all families to read with their young children before they enter kindergarten. The program is open to all preschool-age children with their families and caregivers.
To participate, register your child on Beanstack. If you need help, just ask! Log the books you read with your child. Books read at school or in storytime count too, and it’s okay to log the same book multiple times. Receive a reward every time you read 100 books, and keep reading and keep logging until you reach 1000! All it takes is just one book per day.
The Read with Me Early Literacy Kit is designed to support parents and caregivers in encouraging important early language and social-emotional skills with their children. Use the items in the kit to enrich your child’s early literacy journey and foster a love of reading right from the start!
These kits are available upon request at the Youth Services Desk and are designed with children aged 2 years and under in mind.
is an online literacy resource that pairs classic video storybooks with related non-fiction eBooks to help build a love of reading and learning. The books are intended for children in grades Pre-K through 3rd. Access for free by simply entering your WNPL card number.
PebbleGo is an online resource aimed at students from Pre-K to 6th grade. This database is packed with informational articles, ready-made activities, and literacy supports for students of all abilities.
Click here to discover library programs and events designed specifically for babies, toddlers, and preschoolers.