WNPL takes emergency closings very seriously, with the safety of patrons and staff as our primary concern. WNPL may open on a delayed basis or close earlier than our posted hours due to emergency conditions.
The following are factors in making the decision to close on an emergency basis:
- Predicted snow exceeding 6 inches and/or ice amounts exceeding 1/2 inch, predicted low visibility & rapidly decreasing temperatures
- Emergency services (such as Village of Gurnee, Gurnee Police Department or Lake County Sheriff) indicating that road conditions are deteriorating or will rapidly deteriorate, prohibiting travel
- District school or other significant area closings, such as local township offices, College of Lake County, Gurnee Mills, etc.
- Unsafe conditions occurring on property
- Insufficient staff to keep the library open
If an emergency closing is determined, WNPL will make every effort to notify the Emergency Closing Center, and also post notices to our website and social media presences. Other notification methods may be used, depending upon availability.