WNPL takes emergency closings very seriously, with the safety of patrons and staff as our primary concern. WNPL may open on a delayed basis or close earlier than our posted hours due to emergency conditions.
The following are factors in deciding to close on an emergency basis:
- Predicted snow exceeding 6 inches and/or ice amounts exceeding 1/2 inch, predicted low visibility & rapidly decreasing temperatures
- Emergency services (such as Village of Gurnee, Gurnee Police Department, or Lake County Sheriff) indicating that road conditions are deteriorating or will rapidly deteriorate, prohibiting travel
- District school or other significant area closings include local township offices, College of Lake County, Gurnee Mills, etc.
- Unsafe conditions occurring on the property
- Insufficient staff to keep the library open
The Mobile Services fleet will be off-road at all times when the Library is closed.
The following are additional factors that can lead to an emergency closure of the Mobile Services fleet:
- Unsafe weather and road conditions
- Insufficient staff to drive the Mobile Services fleet
- Mechanical problems within the Mobile Services fleet
If an emergency closing is determined, WNPL will make every effort to post notices to our website and social media presences.